2011年4月23日土曜日

Problems of Education System in Hong Kong

Under the new academic structure of '334', students are allowed to choose more subjects which they are interested in than before.  Compared to the old system, I think this let students know what they are good at and hence further pursue their study in related field.  Further, extension to 4 years of university study encourages teenagers to learn in a more comprehensive way at an earlier age, as well as for a longer period of time.

As I havne't experienced the new system, I hav nothing to comment on it.  Rather, I would like to say something about SPACE.
First of all, we are required to take at least 11 courses (Japanese stream) within 2 semesters.  Most courses are accompanied with course projects and tests.
Personally, I don't reject to examination-oriented teaching system as I think this is the most effective way to evaluate students' ability and effort. 

However, what I want to point out is that, first, I think courses are too much and too many.  It is somehow meaningless for an Arts student to take courses like Food and the Body or Quantitative Analysis.  I have to clarify here that I am not weak in memorizing long biological or chemical words.  I don't think that Food and the Body is a difficult course.  However, I really don't understand the meaning of the course behind.  I do agree that it is somehow necessary for us to know more about nutrition and body health, but I see no point of memorizing how food is digested in duodenum and how it is absorbed in the small intestine!  For Quantitative Analysis, it is even more rediculous that I forgot everything already although I scored B+.  If the school thinks statistics and calculation is important, statistics should be made as a compulsory course which students have to take this in 4 semesters!  So that students can learn in a more systematical way. 

Second, apart from knowledge gained, what also important is to teach students the way to behave in society.  As many peole know, what one learns in the university is usually unrelated to one's future occupation.  However, what usuful is that to teach students manner, inter-personal relationship, etc.  This is something we can use in our whole life.  Many youngsters don't know the basic manner when talking to a person.  It is very disappointed that a higly educated graduate is actually selfish and impolite with poor communication skills with others.  Further, teaching students emotion controlling method also helps as this let students know the proper way to face and solve problems when they encounter difficulties.  Teens are too much spoiled nowadays.

In short, I suggest fewer courses to be taken in order to enhance efficiency in learning in each of the other courses.  Redundant courses should be deleted from the course list.  Lastly, concerning about all-round development, effort on education on manners and behaviour should also be paid.

6 件のコメント:

  1. I can't agree more
    It seems that the college prefer to provide all-round education for the students
    However, sometimes the student are forced to take some courses they are not interested in and learn nothing

    返信削除
  2. Compared to Japan,the teaching of manner is indeed not enough.It is something can be taught easily if emphasis in put on this area.So I agree with you that this education should but emphasized.

    返信削除
  3. Thanks for your sharing:)
    well, I think what SPACE want is to wider the range of university programme choice for the students in our college. Art students who studied certain science subjects in the college may have advantage compare to other art students when applying some programme, like nursing.

    返信削除
  4. For me, I think it is a bit unfair to those students don't have science background, as some science students who transfered to study Arts in SPACE surely can understand easier and get a higher mark!!!

    返信削除
  5. I hate Food and the Body too!
    I don't know why we have to study this course! And I think students have to work too much, and most of them have to do projects or assignments all night.

    返信削除
  6. can't agree more with that.

    teaching students emotion controlling method also helps as this let students know the proper way to face and solve problems when they encounter difficulties. Teens are too much spoiled nowadays.

    there is an example about the man who graduated in Chinese university. He couldn't find a job after he graducated. It's because of his attitude.

    返信削除